Home Forums Battlestation Planning Starting point

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So you decided to pull the plug on your old battle station, its a sad day I know. But fear not my friends. Help is here.

I get folks and family that ask me (because I’m an old retired IT guy) what should I get for my next PC. Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Radon, which memory, power supply, case, monitor. The list just goes on an on. Now, let me ask you…did you learn to tie your shoes in under an hour? Took a bit, some help, but for the most part TRYING is what got you there…trust yourself to do what is right for you.

We live in the information age, PLEASE…ask Google for websites that deal with custom built PCs (use them as benchmarks) then go to the link below and tweek from there. Use Amazon, Newegg to compare prices. but first go to pcpartpicker.com Slap a few thing together and see how they work. See what other Battle station builds look like. Never trust the top ten list anyone publishes its a big paid advertisement. Read the reviews and look for and read the ones that have 2-3 star reviews even if the overall is a 4 or 5 star item. It will clue you in to customer service and hardware failure rates. Bottom line, I might have just gotten lucky with a product and give it a great review, but for lots of people it sucked is something to keep in mind and why I won’t recommend a specific brand to anyone. Instead I’ll tell you if all you are doing is web surfing and a game here an there maybe you don’t need a GTX2080 graphic card and a GTX1050 would be great for you. But I’ll never tell someone get a Asus PG278Q Monitor because it butters your toast while your significant other licks your toes (if you are into that kinda thing).

The one question I never get asked is “how do I future proof my system, the tech changes so fast”. So here is my answer: Buy the best processor, motherboard and graphics card you can afford. salvage as much of your old build as you can to help keep cost down. Hard drives, memory, power supply are most likely gong to be fine and you can upgrade them on the mid point. For me that mid point is about every 2 years. I also save old drives of 1TB in size, memory, power supply and graphics cards from older builds in case of a death.

Monitors, never ever ever ever buy a cheap crappy monitor. Its the slowest changing tech and will last you 2 or 3 builds (maybe more)before you consider getting another. If your are going to have a multi monitor setup get the same exact model for all of them to help (may not always be an exact match, but should be close) avoid color and balance issues. But like the CPU, GPU, and mother board get the best resolution, refresh rate you can get.

So if you want help after all of that, pick a budget (500-700, under 1.2k etc), define what you are going to use the system for (gaming, shopping, web, work, art and or music, then drop a line here and I’ll help if I can.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by TastyWheatTastyWheat.
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by TastyWheatTastyWheat.
    • AlphaRyan
      Keymaster
      Veteran Member

Good advice! You’re going to be an excellent resource here. What monitor would you recommend that butters your toast? Haha! 😉

• TastyWheatTastyWheat
      Participant

I don’t know, but if you find it let me know 😉

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.